Friday 23 March 2012

How long can you last without you cell phone?

As I mentioned before, technology has been developing very rapidly. To such an extent that it no longer changes our lives, but it controls our lives.
Have you ever asked yourself if you can live without some of the key consumer technologies out there. Such as the television, computer and the mobile devices? For me particularly I found that I am not bound to mobile devices such as the cell phone. I can use it for all types of things calling, texting, browsing the web but I choose not to and the main thing is that I am not tempted too do so. However if you ask me to not use the desktop computer for a week, I will pretend I didn't hear that.
One particular technology which has been proven to be highly addictive is cell phone usage. Recent research has shown that "60-percent of the world's population has a mobile subscription of some kind. That's more than have indoor plumbing. At the current rate of adoption, by the end of next year, 85-percent of the population will have phones." [1] Yes technology has helped in many areas, a key one being medicine, but at what point is technology using us rather than us using technology?

The facts speak for themselves:

"A survey by the phone insurance company "Asurion" found 28-percent of Americans think their cellphone is more helpful in life than their spouse or significant other.

An earlier survey said 22-percent of people would give up their toothbrush for a week before they gave up their phone for a week." [1]



Is TECHNOLOGY controlling you or are YOU controlling technology?

Technology alters our brain for good and bad, explained in general terms.



The science behind technological addiction.









[1]. http://www.myfoxchicago.com/dpp/news/cellphones-cell-mobile-necessity-can-you-live-without-your-phone-20120209

1 comment: